Our $20k for Tomas appeal has received a big boost thanks to the generosity of the 300 or so people who attended the Wild Timor Cafe official opening and East Timor Hearts Fund benefit event last night.
Highlights included a performance by the fabulous TAV Tebe Dancers, a spirited auction conducted by auctioneer Andrew Gaynor (the top bid was $500 for a personalised song written and recorded by Keigan Clothier and Jesse Hooper) and some incredible Timorese cuisine, prepared by our friends at Sabores de Timor.
We're still doing the final sums, but we're thrilled to report that we made almost $3,000 just from the auctions and raffle, so the eventual total is likely to take our $20k to Tomas appeal close to the half way mark. Tomas is due to have his heart procedure at MonashHeart in July.
We would like to thank everyone who came along and participated in the spirit of the night, but most importantly:
- Our partners Wild Timor Coffee for their ongoing support and for generously making the launch of their new cafe a fundraiser for us.
- Kerri, Godfrey and the committee of Coburg RSL for making the night so easy for us.
- The culinary maestros of Sabores de Timor for the extraordinary eats.
- MC Keigan Clothier for keeping us informed, amused and on track throughout the night.
- Jorge de Araujo, for photographing the evening for us and donating a beautiful print for auction.
- The TAV Tebe dancers for their magical performance.
- All of the performers, Sol Nation, Mystic Trio and Keagan and Jesse, for donating their talent.
- Auctioneer Andrew Gaynor for whipping the crowd into a bidding frenzy.
- All of the organisations and individuals, too numerous to mention, who donated goods for auction.
- Our graphic designers Struck & Spink for designing all of the event promotional materials and invitation.
And everyone who came along, had a great time and helped us raise funds for Tomas's heart surgery.
PS: If you missed the event but would like to support the appeal you can donate here.