A message from our CEO
Today is a bittersweet day for East Timor Hearts Fund, with the release of the findings of the landmark rheumatic heart disease prevalence study what we coordinated with our partners.
The study has found that our neighbours in Timor-Leste endure amongst the world’s highest rates of rheumatic heart disease (RHD), with one in 28 people affected by this treatable, preventable condition. Girls and young women are worst affected – one in 20 has the disease.
We are hugely proud to have played a leadership role in producing this important piece of research. At the same time we are saddened at the scale of the suffering that RHD is bringing to our friends in Timor-Leste.
No time to waste
We are people of action at East Timor Hearts Fund. There is no time for complacency.
Here’s just a quick snapshot of what we have underway to stop the suffering and save lives – programs that we can expand with the generous assistance of our supporters:
- Delivering a locally coordinated program to provide life-saving penicillin to those with early symptoms.
- Rolling out community education sessions to help local people and health professionals take action on rheumatic heart disease.
- Providing training scholarships and other support to health professionals in Timor-Leste, including our friends at Hospital Nacional Guido Valadares.
- Providing life-saving heart surgery in Australia for the most critical cases.
- Raising our voice on the global stage with our friends in the Government of Timor-Leste and the international community to end the avoidable tragedy of RHD in Timor-Leste.
How you can help
We receive no government funding. Our campaign to beat RHD in Timor-Leste relies entirely on donor support. Please make a tax-deductible donation, and please follow us on Facebook to stay up to date on our RHD campaign.
Thank you for your support,
CEO, East Timor Hearts Fund
PS: You can read the study summary online below, or find out more about the research and our work in Timor-Leste on our website.